About this Degree
- Entomology and Plant Pathology is offered at University of Tennessee Knoxville. There are no concentrations for the non-thesis option. Our M.S. degree program provides students with the principles and research background for a career in the life sciences. Our graduates have obtained positions at academic institutions, in public service or the private sector, or have gained admission to Ph.D. programs.
- Students concentrating in bioinformatics and genomics can study biological sequencing and analysis of DNA and RNA, epigenetics, metagenomics and metatranscriptomics, phylogenomics, genotyping by sequencing, differential gene expression, population genomics, gene interactions and/or proteomics.
- Students choosing entomology can study crop entomology, forest entomology, insect biology, insect ecology, insect pest management, taxonomy, molecular systematics, medical and veterinary entomology, biological control, integrated pest management, insect physiology, insect pathology, or innovative uses of traditional and biorational pesticides.
- Students selecting the plant pathology concentration can study foliar and stem fungal diseases, plant nematology, plant virology, epidemiology, plant disease physiology, biological and cultural control of plant diseases, or ecology of soilborne plant pathogens.
- Many of the specialties within the department involve cross‑disciplinary activity, which involves collaborations with soil scientists, plant geneticists, horticulturists, veterinarians, and ecologists.
- For instance, the department has special interest and expertise in alternative methods of insect and disease management, such as biological control, resistant cultivars, integrated pest management, and cultural techniques, to help meet the need for healthful food production without or with reduced use of pesticides.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesAgriculture Botany Environmental Sciences View 666 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United States
- For admission to the Doctor of Philosophy program, applicants must meet all requirements of the Graduate School of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and must have completed at least 24 credit hours of biological and physical sciences at the undergraduate level.
- Applicants should submit an online application, a nonrefundable application fee, and official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to make contact with prospective major professors early in the application process.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.