You will develop your language skills to a high level and gain experience in the area of translation technology. You will acquire a high level of communication skills in your chosen language speciality of French, German, Italian or Spanish.
The Advanced Languages Skills programme at National University of Ireland, Galway offers intensive training in the use of Trados Translation software and provides students with the possibility of progressing to Trados Certification at no extra cost. Optional modules provide the opportunity to concentrate on areas of particular interest.
Our students have found employment in a variety of contexts, both in Ireland and abroad. In particular, graduates have been employed by national and international translation companies, EU offices, and international customer care and marketing centres.
Many have taken up second and third-level teaching positions. A number of graduates have progressed to doctoral studies and have obtained prestigious scholarships.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include
- Advanced Language Skills (German)
- Advanced Language Skills (Italian)
- Advanced Language Skills (Spanish)
- Interpreting Literature: Theories & Methods
- Translation Studies
- Audiovisual translation: interlingual subtitling
- Advanced Language Skills (French)
- Language & Intercultural Communication
- Research Methods for Spanish Students
- France in the European Union
- Representations of the Islamic Other in Medieval France
- Critical Approaches & Methods
- The Literature of France in Algeria
- Dissertation (Italian)
- Consecutive Interpreting (German)
- Professor Bill Richardson
- Professor Hans-Walter Schmidt-Hannisa
- Professor Paolo Bartoloni
- Dr Máire Áine Ní Mhainnín
- Dr Laura McLoughlin
- Ms Pilar Alderete
- Dr Mel Boland MA
- Mr Ruadhán Cooke MA
- Ms Áine Ryan MA
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesLanguages Software Engineering Linguistics View 20 other Masters in Linguistics in Ireland
Second Class Honours NQAI Level 8 degree or equivalent, with Second Class Honours Grade 2 or equivalent in the language to be studied.
International15550 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15550 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6400 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.