East Asian Studies - Modern Sinology from University of Göttingen aims to combine language and cultural competence relating to China with methods and theories of cultural and social science, with the aim of critically questioning the latter, expanding them and putting them in their cultural context, in order to develop research skills and analytic competence for scientific and executive positions in politics, business and society.
Students at East Asian Studies - Modern Sinology from University of Göttingen will:
- analyse the structures and processes of modern and contemporary China in a systematic, structured way and put them into relationship with comparable phenomena in other regions of the world
- develop the ability to formulate research questions autonomously and answer them using Chinese-language texts as primary and secondary sources.
- History and Philosophy of Modern China
- Society and Economics of Modern China
- Global History
- Didactics of Chinese
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Languages View 55 other Masters in Languages in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Göttingen and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- B.A. degree or equivalent degree
- Evidence of credits in sinology to the extent of at least 120 C must be submitted, including credits totalling at least 24 C from at least two of the following areas: history, religion, politics, society, philosophy, linguistics, economy or law of modern China.
- Proof of language proficiency required for the degree programme
- Statutory declaration (Eidesstattliche Versicherung) (not mandatory when applying for a higher semester)
International1562 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 781 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA1562 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 781 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.