The Education - Human Development programme at the University of Waikato explores the development of individuals, families, groups and communities throughout the human lifespan. It is important for those wishing to go into professions such as youth work, eldercare, social work, counselling and teaching. An understanding of human development is relevant to many other careers that involve working with or for people.
Papers develop skills relevant to career objectives such as human relations, human services, programme planning, community liaison, counselling, policy and evaluation, administration of programs concerned with the family or other groups and research.
Graduates gain a solid foundation in theory and research to understand and explain the development of people from the early years through to old age, have the ability to examine how different contexts influence people's lives, learning and behaviour, and are able to apply this knowledge to specific life situation.
- Community or Iwi Development Coordinator
- Community Educator
- Policy Analyst/ Advisor
- Community Advocate
- Social Services Advocate
- International Aid Worker
- Learning Application Developer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Working with Groups
- Discourse and Counselling Psychologies
- Counselling and Contexts
- Contemporary Issues in Disability and Inclusion Studies
- Culturally Responsive Methodologies incorporating kaupapa Maori and critical theories
- Health Development and Policy Thesis
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics View 7 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
International20453 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20453 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National4787 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4787 USD per year and a duration of 18 months.
- Fees (Domestic): NZD 7,185-$7,740
- Fees (International): NZD 30,695 (120 pts) or $46,045 (180 pts)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.