From the subtleties of word choice to the haphazard relationship between the way a word is spelled and pronounced, it is hard enough for a native speaker of English to learn and understand the language, much less someone learning English as a second language. But an ESL licensure (ESL #1395) will prepare you to serve your English language learners (ELLs) by helping them become proficient in academic English.
By helping them do that, you’ll prepare them for their continuing education and career readiness goals. Courses are offered in an accelerated 8-week cohort format, and the program is available in both online and face-to-face format. It’s important to note that you will also earn a Master of Science in Education through this Education - Teaching and Learning - ESL Licensure program from Concordia University Wisconsin.
What to expect
You’ll learn relevant teaching strategies to implement in your classroom, while building a portfolio to demonstrate growth and competency in teaching standards. The program will reveal best practices in teaching advanced English vocabulary and syntax, and provide a solid theoretical and practical foundation in the methodology of foreign language learning. All while helping you emerge a more confident educator.
- Cross Cultural Communication for Teachers of Language Learners
- Basic English Linguistics for Teachers of Language Learners
- ELL Literacy: Reading, Writing, and Grammar Strategies
- Accommodating Differences in Literacy Learners
- Curriculum and Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language
- Observation, Analysis, and Practicum in ESL Classrooms
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Plan to apply 3-4 months prior to your intended start date.
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Teaching View 1895 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- These programs have a minimum undergraduate GPA requirement of 3.00.
- Application form
- Non-refundable application fee
- One page essay describing your reason for obtaining a graduate degree
- Résumé of your education and employment experience
- Two signed letters of recommendation using the Recommendation Form (recommendation letters on letterhead may also be submitted)
- All official transcripts leading to your bachelor’s degree
- Graduate entrance exams such as the GRE are not required
- If you have completed graduate level classes in the last seven years and wish to have them evaluated for possible transfer, please contact your admissions counselor for more information on transferring graduate credits
International23256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 646 USD per credit during 12 months.
National23256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 646 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Mequon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.