You will do an integrated research project that culminates in the submission of a thesis and demonstrates the capacity for critical analysis and original research.
JCU research areas include:
- English and English literature
- Indigenous studies
- Political science and political innovation
- Regional development
- Social justice and community wellbeing
- Disaster and hazards
- Social work
- Women's studies
This is a two year full-time Society and Culture program from James Cook University offered both on and off campus.
Graduates of a Masters Degree (Research) will have:
- A body of knowledge that includes the understanding of recent developments in one or more disciplines
- Advanced knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to the field of work or learning.
- Cognitive skills to demonstrate mastery of theoretical knowledge and to reflect critically on theory and its application
- Cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories and to apply established theories to different bodies of knowledge or practice
- Cognitive, technical and creative skills to generate and evaluate complex ideas and concepts at an abstract level
- Cognitive and technical skills to design, use and evaluate research and research methods
- Communication and technical skills to present a coherent and sustained argument and to disseminate research results to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse, theorise and disseminate research that makes a contribution to knowledge.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Planning the Research: Masters Candidates
- Situating the Research: Masters Candidates
- Master of Philosophy Research Thesis (Society and Culture)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Sociology View 63 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Australia
CRICOS code: 081345D, DE
- Previous and current certificates and academic transcripts
- Grading Scale used at the institution/s you have undertaken your studies
- English proficiency test results (if required and available at time of application)
- Passport to confirm your name and citizenship (if available at time of application)
International33280 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33280 AUD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
This programme is taught in different countries. Which country are you interested in?