By studying Materials and Processing at the University of Waikato, you will learn how to add value to raw materials used to manufacture a number of useful products, while minimising waste. These products can be as varied as dietary formulae, foods, ceramics that can withstand high temperatures, new metal alloys, pharmaceuticals, laminated boards, functional proteins, and composites.
Materials and processing skills are used in industrial and other activities where materials are undergoing chemical, biochemical or physical changes.
At Waikato you will learn about process science, which involves knowing how to prepare raw materials, how to make reactions occur, and how to separate and purify products. You will understand how to limit and treat wastes, minimise energy use, and consider sustainable processes.
Students can work in specialised laboratories including the Large Scale Lab complex that features a suite of workshops and laboratories dedicated to engineering teaching and research, such as 3D printing, a mechanical workshop and computer labs with engineering design software.
- Composite Engineer
- Materials Scientist
- Process Engineer
- Product Developer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Process Control
- Master's Capstone Project
- Special Topics in Engineering
- Directed Study
- Product Innovation and Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 53 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required.
International25549 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25549 USD per year during 12 months.
National5537 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5537 USD per year during 12 months.
- Fees (Domestic): $7,705 - $8,505 per year
- Fees (International): $35,545 per year
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.