The Social Sciences program from James Cook University focuses on equipping students with the knowledge and practical skills to work towards solving complex contemporary issues of social policy, governance, cultural heritage, and resource management. JCU students benefit from a unique learning environment, dedicated to the advancement of Asia-Pacific and Tropical societies.
A JCU Master of Social Science equips students with the knowledge, skills and strategies that provide the key proficiencies for a broad range of occupations. Postgraduate students have the advanced capability to identify complex problems and pose creative solutions to social and environmental challenges facing societies around the world.
The skills gained from a JCU Master of Social Science are sought by organisations such as government agencies, the education sector, industry and commerce, and indigenous organizations.
Job opportunities include:
- Public health services policy analysis and development
- Research roles that involve analysis and critical evaluation of social systems, institutions, structures and practices
- Advocacy for diverse social sciences-related programs
- Post-Graduate Research Methods for the Social Sciences
- Social Science Coursework Masters Thesis
- Asia-Pacific Governance and Development
- Environment and Heritage
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 59 other Masters in Social Work in Australia
CRICOS code: 072634C
- AQF level 7 bachelor degree in social sciences with GPA 5.0 or AQF level 8 qualification, both completed within 5 years of application
- US: Satisfactory completion of one year at a recognised university with a minimum GPA of 2.8.
- Germany: Successful completion of six months of study at a recognised German university with an overall grade of Pass or successful completion of Abitur, Fachhochschulreife or Reifezeugnis.
- Sweden: Successful completion of Upper Secondary School or Kommunal vuxenutbildning (Komvux) with a minimum GPA of 12.
- Norway: Successful completion of at least six months of study at a recognised higher education institution in Norway; or successful completion of Norwegian Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skolen with a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Denmark: Successful completion of one semester of study at a recognised higher education institution in Denmark with an overall grade of Pass (average of D).
International32960 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32960 AUD per year during 18 months.
National21960 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21960 AUD per year during 18 months.
Estimated annual Commonwealth Supported Fee for domestic students for a full-time study load $14,630.00
Living costs for Townsville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.