During this 1.5 year full-time (or part-time equivalent) master’s course, JCU postgraduate social science students study a combination of core subjects and specialist electives, deepening their knowledge in their selected major. All major streams include a research thesis.
The Social Sciences program from James Cook University focusses on equipping students with the knowledge and practical skills to work towards solving complex contemporary issues of social policy, governance, cultural heritage, and resource management. JCU students benefit from a unique learning environment, dedicated to the advancement of Asia-Pacific and Tropical societies.
A JCU Master of Social Science equips students with the knowledge, skills and strategies that provide the key proficiencies for a broad range of occupations. Postgraduate students have the advanced capability to identify complex problems and pose creative solutions to social and environmental challenges facing societies around the world.
The skills gained from a JCU Master of Social Science are sought by organisations such as government agencies, the education sector, industry and commerce, and indigenous organisations.
Job opportunities include:
- Public health services policy analysis and development
- Research roles that involve analysis and critical evaluation of social systems, institutions, structures and practices
- Advocacy for diverse social sciences-related programs
More informationVisit official programme website
- Post-Graduate Research Methods for the Social Sciences
- Social Science Coursework Masters Thesis
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 32 other Masters in Sociology in Australia
CRICOS code: 072634C, DE
- AQF level 7 bachelor degree in social sciences with GPA 5.0 or AQF level 8 qualification, both completed within 5 years of application
- Previous and current certificates and academic transcripts
- The Grading Scale used at the institution(s) where you have undertaken your studies
- English proficiency test results (if required and available at time of application)
- Your passport to confirm your name and citizenship (if available at time of application)
International32280 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 32280 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National6684 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6684 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.