Ongoing progress in computer technology means that there is a steady need for more qualified computer professionals. The University of Waikato is recognised among the world’s best in computer science, and offers the largest range of advanced computer science courses in New Zealand.
A major in Computer Science is flexible, allowing you to focus on a particular area, or to complete a more generalist major. The papers available are carefully designed to ensure you have a good mastery of a particular area of Computer Science and will equip you with the skills you need to succeed in your chosen career.
Waikato is well-recognised internationally for our computer science research, and have especially enjoyed success with open source software development.
Students have the opportunity to work alongside internationally-respected academics on a wide range of exciting and innovative research projects in areas such as:
- Broadband communication
- Data compression
- Digital libraries
- Formal methods
- Human-computer interaction
- Machine learning
- Software engineering
- Cyber security.
Computing facilities at Waikato
The computing facilities at the University of Waikato are among the best in New Zealand, ranging from phones and tablets for mobile application development to cluster computers for massively parallel processing.
You will also have 24 hour access to computer labs equipped with all the latest computer software, and several labs fully equipped with Mac computers, commonly used in professional design environments.
- Web Architect
- Business Analyst
- Software Developer
- Network Architect
- Computer Animator
- Mobile App Master
- Data Miner
- Usability Architect
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Topics in Operating Systems
- Security for Advanced Networks
- Cyber Security
- Advanced Machine Learning
- Data Stream Mining
- Secure Cloud Application Engineering
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Software Engineering View 23 other Masters in Software Engineering in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required.
International25549 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25549 USD per year during 12 months.
National5537 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5537 USD per year during 12 months.
- Fees (Domestic): $7,705 - $8,505 per year
- Fees (International): $35,545 per year
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.