Accountants can earn attractive salaries and are in demand both in New Zealand and overseas. They often work in high-level management positions where skills in financial control, decision making, legal compliance and leadership are essential.
If you enjoy working with numbers and people, and want to help businesses grow, then accounting may be a good fit for you.
In this Accounting subject at the University of Waikato, you'll learn how to prepare financial records to comply with professional reporting standards, and gain an understanding of commercial and taxation laws that apply to businesses.
A qualification in accounting can lead you into all kinds of industries, such as agribusiness, manufacturing or entertainment.
Become a professionally qualified accountant
Professionally qualified accountants are paid attractive salaries, and can work anywhere in the world.
By following a specific programme of study, you can meet the academic requirements to join either Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ), the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA) or CPA Australia once you graduate, and gain an internationally recognised qualification. See below for details.
- Business consultant
- Chief financial officer
- Company accountant
- Financial accountant/controller
- Management accountant
- Tax accountant
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Philosophy is a one year research-based degree in which students undertake a programme of approved and supervised research that leads to a thesis which critically investigates an approved topic of substance and significance, demonstrates expertise in the methods of research and scholarship, displays intellectual independence and makes a substantial original contribution to the subject area concerned, and is of publishable quality.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFinance Accounting View 20 other Masters in Accounting in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required.
International20643 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20643 USD per year during 12 months.
National4558 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4558 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: $6,332-$6,763 per year
- International: $28,675 - $37,710 per year
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.