Why to study
Te reo M?ori is an official language of Aotearoa/New Zealand. The study of te reo will enhance your identity as an individual and will help you establish a framework for other worldviews, international links and connections.
The ability to be fluent in both M?ori and English has become increasingly important within a number of professional areas including education, medicine, research, media, government and tourism.
You'll learn in a supportive environment incorporating new and exciting ways to deliver the language and with practitioners who are committed to the ongoing survival, retention and maintenance of te reo M?ori.
The Maori Language program at the University of Waikato enables you to learn the language from an introductory level through to advanced. We are the only university that teaches level 3 during undergraduate study. This gives you the advantage of attaining advanced language skills before progressing to graduate level or moving into the workforce.
There is also the opportunity to join a one year, full time, total immersion programme or a mainstream programme for those who would rather study at a slower pace.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Conversational Māori for Absolute Beginners
- Te Hā o te Reo: Emergence of the Language
- Te Reo Whaiaro: Expressive Language
- Te Whakahaumanu Reo: Māori and Indigenous Language Revitalisation
- Te Reo Māori: Intermediate
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Language Studies View 5 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
International22814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22814 USD per year during 12 months.
- Fees (International): $31,615
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.