Like most states, New Zealand depends for its security and prosperity on regional and international stability. Its political, economic and societal well-being can be affected by, for example, major power relations; global financial crisis; and the rise of violent extremist non-state actors and the responses to them. As a good international citizen, New Zealand seeks to play a role in the international institutions which try to uphold international law and order and to contribute to international stabilisation operations in various countries.
Given the significance of such issues, International Relations and Security Studies at the University of Waikato is available as a specialisation within the Political Science major.
- Foreign Policy Analyst
- International Defence Relations Officer
- National Assessments Bureau
- National and International NGOs
- New Zealand Defence Force Officer
- Security and Intelligence Officer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Security Issues in South East Asia
- International Relations and Global Security
- Cyber Security and Cyber Warfare
- The Laws of Armed Conflict & International Humanitarian Law
- Environmental Politics and Public Policy
- Directed Study
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Terrorism & Security View 20 other Masters in International Relations in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
- A recognised bachelors degree with a B/B+ average, and a B/B+ average in a relevant subject if required. Some faculties/schools require an honours degree (to demonstrate research capacity). Where the above requirements are not met, further study in a lower level programme may be required first.
International22814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22814 USD per year during 12 months.
National5560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5560 USD per year during 12 months.
- Fees (Domestic): $7,705-$8,505 per year
- Fees (International): $31,615-$35,980 (120 pts) or $47,425-$53,970 (180 pts)
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.