China ("Zhongguo" – the Central Kingdom) has a civilisation that spans 4,000 years, the longest unbroken civilisation in the world. It was the centre of East Asian culture for many centuries, exerting a strong influence on its immediate neighbours, including Korea, Japan and Vietnam.
Over the last two decades China has achieved the highest economic growth rate in the world. According to World Bank and IMF estimates, in terms of real size of its economy, China now ranks third internationally. And it's home to one fifth of the world's population and is poised to become a massive world force.
As part of the Asia Pacific region, New Zealand has substantial links with the countries of Chinese-speaking Asia, with China, Hong Kong and Taiwan included among New Zealand's top ten trading partners. There is a large Chinese immigrant community in New Zealand and large numbers of Chinese tourists visit.
The Chinese at the University of Waikato involves advanced study in an Arts subject and is intended for those who want to deepen their knowledge of that subject.
- Hospitality Operator
- International Lawyer
- Tour Guide
- Translator or Interpreter
- Travel Agent
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International Languages and Cultures
- Chinese for Beginners
- Visualising China
- Understanding East Asia
- Reading and Translation Skills: Chinese
- Translation Methodology and Practice
- 11 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 40 other Masters in Language Studies in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Birth certificate, passport and permits
- Evidence of citizenship
- Evidence of any change of name (if your name is different from that on your birth certificate)
- A written statement in support of your application, if applicable
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Proof that you meet the academic entry requirements (Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a minimum of 24 points)
International22814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22814 USD per year during 11 months.
National5560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5560 USD per year during 11 months.
- Domestic: $7,705-$8,505 per year
- International: $31,615-$35,980 (120 pts) or $47,425-$53,970 (180 pts)
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.