The Department of Surgery has built itself on a culture of academic research. The Department built its reputation on minimally invasive therapies. We pioneered laparoscopic, thoraco-scopic surgery and endoscopic treatment of GI conditions. Our clinical trials appear in New Journal of Medicine, Lancet, Chest, Gastroenterology and Annals of Surgery. Our earlier research led to dramatic decrease in peptic ulcer disease and its complications and the demise of acid reduction surgery.
Each student of the Surgery programme at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will be required to deliver seminar, submit a written research thesis and pass an oral examination for graduation.
Fields of Specialization
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Cancer Research: Molecular Targets for Diagnosis and Treatment
- Biomedical Engineering
- Other topics in Surgery (such as Hepato-biliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Upper Gastrointestinal and Metabolic Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery and Paediatric Urology, Urology and Cardiothoracic Surgery), Speech Therapy and ENT
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine View 22 other Masters in Human Medicine in Hong Kong (SAR)
- a master's degree from a recognized university; or
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should preferably have a recognized Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, MBChB or relatead discipline.
International5425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5425 USD per year during 36 months.
National5425 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5425 USD per year during 36 months.
- 42,100 HKD per year
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.