Community Mental Health courses in this program are taught in the classroom, online and in hybrid formats and are designed to follow the development of skills from Foundational, Clinical Practice and Mastery. During the first year of study students develop a theoretical foundation; engage in clinical coursework along with an opportunity for clinical field study the second year; and progress into a third year of clinical practicum and a culminating Integrative Project.
The curriculum for the Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology with a concentration in Community Mental Health at California Institute of Integral Studies requires at least 60 semester hours of work. It is divided into the following three groups of courses: common core courses, concentration courses, and electives. The common core courses (designated as "MCP") are shared by all concentrations in Counseling Psychology. They address the theory, technique, and knowledge that apply to the general practice of counseling psychology. Those MCP courses that are designated with an additional "C" are taught with a Community Mental Health concentration. Courses within the Community Mental Health concentration and certificate are designated as "CMH." CMH courses will incorporate principles articulated in the Mental Health Recovery Model. Those principles include the following:
- A holistic view of mental illness that focuses on the person, not just the symptoms.
- New definitions of recovery, which state:
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Professional Ethics and Family Law
- Psychopathology and Psychosocial Assessment
- Therapeutic Communication
- Multi-Cultural Foundations of Family Therapy
- Advanced Therapeutic Skills: The Clinical Relationship
- Supervised Clinical Practicum
- Child and Adolescent Multi-systemic Therapies
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Co-occurring Disorders and Addiction
- Supervised Clinical Practicum
- Trauma, Crisis and Recovery-Oriented Practice
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Public Health Counselling View 1132 other Masters in Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Each degree program at CIIS has specific application requirements.
- The final pages of the admissions application outline the specific requirements for each program.
- If you need further clarification about the materials requested, please contact the admissions counselor for the specific program to which you are applying.
International36180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1206 USD per credit during 12 months.
National36180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1206 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.