Rehabilitation needs new ideas from different viewpoints. Aiming to increase and develop human resources with higher levels of knowledge and rich humanity who can respond to complicated/multiple disabilities, we need to establish an interdisciplinary scientific field incorporating conventional rehabilitation medicine. In this department, we make efforts to respond to social needs so that those with disabilities can achieve functional recovery, reduced need of nursing care, social rehabilitation and resettlement.
Disability Sciences at Tohoku University also attempt to explore new treatment, rehabilitation and nursing care techniques and establish new healthcare systems including analysis, assessment and prevention of various disabilities. In order to attain these goals, we introduce medicine & science in sports & exercise, physical engineering, neuroscience, neuropsychology, epileptology, behavioral medicine, musical acoustic medicine, and biomechatronics into conventional rehabilitation medicine, in order to unify the basic and clinical fields. In this manner, we promote a wider range of educational/research activities.
The Disability Sciences Program is:
- For students who graduated in an area other than medical-related such as physical education, liberal arts and engineering, aims at cultivating human resources including researchers, teachers, and administrative officials who can make international contributions.
- For medical specialists such as physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech therapists, aims at cultivating of leaders such as teachers who can take charge of graduate school education for medical related occupations or who can perform specialized medical rehabilitation.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
- Behavioral Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Restorative Neuromuscular Rehabilitation
- Epileptology, Internal Medicine and Rehabilitation Science
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPublic Health Special Education Health Sciences View 5 other Masters in Public Health in Japan
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Those who have graduated from a university (or expect to graduate by March).
- Those who have completed 16 years of school education abroad (or expect completion by March).
- Those who are 22 years of age or older by March and are considered to have achieved an academic standard equivalent to those who have graduated from a university.
International4617 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4617 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4617 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4617 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 535,800 yen (per year)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.