In the students deepen the skills learned in bachelor's studies and broaden their knowledge in spatial design and furniture design. Students gain knowledge on
- different design approaches and methods,
- skills to practice interior architecture in the broader operational environment of building and construction, product development, business and culture.
- managing design processes,
- the regulations in construction, and material knowledge
- skills in 3D composition,
- understanding the spatiality of people and products
Career opportunities vary from entrepreneurship to expert tasks in private and public organisations. Graduates of the Interior Architecture programme from Aalto University work as interior architects in design and architect studios, as independent entrepreneurs, and as in-house designers in industry. They also work as designers, managers, researchers and teachers, and engage in artistic practice. The programme prepares its graduates also for doctoral studies.
Interior architects may focus on various areas, such as workspaces, retail spaces or care environments. Their tasks typically include spatial, surface, interior and lighting design in interior renovations and alterations. They also work on exhibition design and the design of other temporary structures, concept design, branding and corporate identity design, and design of furniture, lighting fixtures and other interior design components. Strategic, conceptual and managerial designer roles are increasingly common.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Examples of themes learned during the studies:
- The human experience, body, and senses as basis of interior architecture.
- Experimental, critical, and artistic design practice engaging with the society and instigating change.
- Human-centred, collaborative and conceptual design in interior architecture.
- Strategies for adaptive reuse, sustainability, and flexibility in interior architecture.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Design Interior Design View 19 other Masters in Design in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Scanned colour copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate.
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
- If you have any other higher education degrees you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship.
- Proof of language proficiency in the language of instruction of the study option.
- Portfolio (electronic). Most study options in the field of art and design, architecture and landscape architecture require an electronic portfolio in PDF-format.
- GMAT or GRE test (business and economics). GMAT or GRE scores for applicants to School of Business study options in admission group 2 or all applicants to the study option of Finance. See submission instructions: GMAT and GRE test.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.