Gender studies aims to understand the structure of social relationships between male and female and resolve social issues that stem from discrimination and marginalization of women in this society. Fulfilling the mission of gender studies, we are dedicated to make contributions to the development of Korean society and to educate intellectuals who promote gender equality.
Gender studies consist of multiple perspectives and, by nature, is interdisciplinary. However, the field of gender studies is also an independent field of study, distinctive from conventional disciplines. Emphasizing its academic features, education and research in this program are conducted in collaboration with professors who specialize in women’s issue and are from diverse participating departments in social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences.
The Gender Studies program from Seoul National University is designed to produce professional researchers who have realistic and theoretical understanding of gender issues and leaders who can make contributions in our society by utilizing their expertise in gender studies.
A degree in gender studies leads to a wide range rewarding careers. Graduates from our program play a central role in academia and in national research institutes that evaluate and develop women’s policy. In addition, our alumni are contributing to the expansion of gender equality in political arenas, media, and broadcasting.
- The Program is committed to enhance interdisciplinary communications by collaborating with the Institute for Gender Research and other institutes in humanities and social sciences. Gender studies provide its social relevance in our contemporary society as a participatory discipline.
- The Program also provides various opportunities for researchers to demonstrate their research expertise on a range of subjects, including women’s policy, culture, North Korean women, socio-cultural organization of sexuality, gender and religion, feminist history, motherhood and reproduction, and study of masculinity.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 4 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in South Korea
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application Form
- Print out after completing online application
- Personal Statement and Study Plan
- Two Letters of Recommendation from two different professors with stamp or signature on sealed envelope
- Official Bachelor's Transcript and Degree or Graduation Certificate
- Official Master's Transcript and Degree or Graduation Certificate
- A Copy of the Applicant's Passport
- Copies of both parents' passports
- Official document indicating parent-child relationship between the applicant and parents
- Financial Certification
- Additional materials required to applicants for programs in Fine Arts, Music, Physical Education, Music Education Major or Fine Arts Education Major
International4990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2495 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Seoul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.