Japanese Studies program at The Chinese University of Hong Kong has emerged through multiple traditions including Japanese scholars studying their own society, European scholarship on Japan following contact in the Edo Period, and the rise of Area Studies in the United States following the end of World War II.
Area Studies emerged from the realization that conventional academic disciplines failed to adequately address particular geographic or cultural areas, leading to gaps in knowledge of our world. Japanese Studies allows students to acquire comprehensive knowledge of Japan grounded in multiple academic disciplines and language training.
Japanese studies are important to Hong Kong and China because of the great economic, cultural and historical inter-relationships between Hong Kong, China, and Japan.
Students at Japanese Studies program at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will:
- get a rigorous education that combines critical perspectives on Japanese society and culture with high levels of Japanese language ability.
- learn how to use multi-disciplinary approaches to analyze a cultural region, and how to apply this critical and flexible approach to the study of other societies including their own.
- Japanese Studies
- Field Research Methods
- Understanding Japan
- Japanese Culture and Society
- Understanding Japanese Language and Culture
- Chinese-Japanese-Korean Movies: Appreciation and Comparison
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis until all places have been filled. Therefore, early applications are strongly encouraged.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 21 other Masters in Languages in Hong Kong (SAR)
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- English Proficiency
International7710 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15421 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National7710 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15421 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
HK$121,000 for the whole programme within normative study period
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.