The Counselor Education Mission Statement
The Counselor program at The University of New Mexico prepares students to address the counseling and human development needs of a pluralistic society. The program recruits and retains students who reflect the broad range of diversity found in New Mexico. Students graduate with knowledge and skills in core competency areas that include professional identity, social and cultural foundations, human growth and development, career development, helping relationships, group work, assessment, and research and program evaluation.
The Counselor Education Program features an integration of theory, research, practice, and interdisciplinary collaboration. It is intended to prepare counselors who are informed; who will be sensitive to the diversity and uniqueness of individuals, families, and communities; and who will value and promote the dignity, potential, and well-being of all people. The program prepares professional school and clinical mental health counselors (master’s level) and counselor educators (PhD level) to respond to a world with challenging and pressing social problems.
- Professional Orientation and Ethics
- Theories of Counseling and Human Behavior
- Multicultural Issues in the Helping Professions
- Group Counseling
- Diagnosis of Mental Disorders
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesCounselling View 896 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or its equivalent in another country.
- Generally, applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) or its equivalent in their last two undergraduate years and in their major field.
- Must indicate all academic institutions they have previously attended on their applications.
- In most departments, the minimum undergraduate prerequisite is 12 semester hours of upper division course work (300-level courses or higher) in the major field to which the student is applying, or in cognate areas.
International967 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 967 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National286 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 286 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.