English (Literary Studies) program at The Chinese University of Hong Kong attempts to develop in the students an understanding of advanced literary studies in English as well as a critical sense of perceiving resemblances and differences in literatures with various cultural and philosophical backgrounds.
The programme is organised to focus on both literary & cultural study, since at the graduate level, literary research often converges with other disciplines. Comparative Literature, apart from cross-cultural studies of literature in influence and reception studies, genre, structure, period and movement, etc.
Students at English (Literary Studies) program at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will gain knowledge in topics as: the relations between:
- literature and the other arts (e.g., painting, music and film),
- literature and sociology (e.g., socio-cultural approaches, sociology of literature, critical theory),
- literature and philosophy (e.g., aesthetics, phenomenology, analytic philosophy, hermeneutics),
- literature and history (e.g., historicism, new historicism, Marxist criticism),
- literature and language (e.g., semiotics, stylistics and literary discourse analysis),
- literature and culture (e.g., history of ideas, cultural analysis).
- Advanced Studies in Literature
- Literature and Pedagogy
- Major Author(s)
- Creative Writing
- Children's Literature
- Life Writing
- Major Contemporary Novels
- Aspects of Contemporary Poetry
- Modern Drama
- 11 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Clearing Round: 31 March (Applications in Clearing Round will only be considered subject to availability of places.)
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 25 other Masters in Language Studies in Hong Kong (SAR)
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- English Proficiency
- Please submit an 800-word research proposal.
International5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 11 months.
National5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 11 months.
HK$42,100 per annum regardless of the study mode
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.