Organic compounds constitute the foundation of various industries such as the rubber, plastic, fuel, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, detergent, coating, dyestuff, and agrichemical industries. The very foundations of biochemistry, biotechnology, and medicine consist of organic compounds and their role in life processes. Clearly, organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry are important to our high standard of living.
The Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Master's programme is offered at University of Gothenburg, Faculty of Science.Why study a master in organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry?
The programme will provide you with general and subject-related skills that equip you for employment in various fields: chemical industries, pharmaceutical companies, quality control laboratories etc, public sector, usually with research and development. Other employment possibilities include management, scientific journalism, and research. After fulfilment of the program you will also be a strong candidate for PhD programs in relevant areas.
The program gives you the necessary knowledge in the field of design and synthesis of substances that may cause specific effects on the body or form the basis of exciting new materials. The program also includes in–depth studies of organic chemical reactions, including principles for stereoselective synthesis and organometallic chemistry. Within the programme you will be able to direct your education towards organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry.The program includes advanced courses in organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry, in total 60 HEC, and a degree project of 60 HEC. The degree project is strongly connected to research and supervised by one of the research groups associated with the program. Topics for the thesis are organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesChemistry Human Medicine View 13 other Masters in Human Medicine in Sweden
- A Bachelor's degree in Science with a minimum of 120 hec in chemistry, including at least 45 hec in organic chemistry/medicinal chemistry, or equal qualifications. Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS.
- Selection:The selection process is based on number of credit points from previous university studies (maximum 225 hec), the applicants CV, letter of recommendation, and letter of motivation. Interviews are conducted if considered necessary in order to make a correct evaluation
International11246 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22493 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 232 806 SEK
- First payment: 58 202 SEK
We are convinced that education and research flourish in an international environment. A mixture of students from different cultures enriches the learning environment and the University believes that motivated students should have a chance to study here even if they don’t have the means to cover all costs.
- The University of Gothenburg Study Scholarship & New Scholarships from Adlerbert Scholarship Foundation
- Swedish Institute's Scholarship
- The Volvo Group Scholarship
- The Richard C. Malmsten Memorial Foundation Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.