The MPA is an international Masters’ programme, aimed at people who are pursuing (or would like to pursue) a career in public administration in government, public enterprises or non-governmental organisations, whether at local, national or international level. The Public Administration (Finance) programme from University of Birmingham is particularly suitable for those working in finance ministries, finance sections within sectoral ministries, development banks, local government, public enterprises, aid providers, non-governmental organisations, and research and training organisations who wish to participate at a strategic level in financial management decisions.
The Public Administration (Finance) programme from University of Birmingham will enable managers in the public sector and not-for-profit sector to update and improve their practical skills and their understanding of financial and economic management. This will enable managers to participate in financial management at the strategic level in their organisation rather than to focus on detailed technical skills such as bookkeeping. This is primarily a public sector management, not a business management programme, although some of the themes covered are relevant to both sectors.
Why study this course?
This is an MPA programme aimed at people already working within, or closely with, the public sector or not-for-profit sector, or wanting to join the sectors, particularly within developing or newly industrialised countries. The programme:
- Has a strong international focus, using real examples and practice from many countries and being relevant to many countries, and with an international student body.
- Includes a study visit, to learn about public administration and strategy in a particular context, with meetings with a range of public sector and associated bodies. There are two locations to choose from each year – destinations in recent years include St Petersburg, Guangzhou, Vienna, Berlin
- Is aimed particularly at applicants with experience and interest in financial and economic management within the public sector. However, no prior experience or study in economics or financial management is required or assumed.
- Has a wide range of optional modules.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Public Financial Management
- Public Economic Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Public Administration View 573 other Masters in Economics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An upper second-class Honours degree or equivalent from an approved university or an equivalent professional qualification in a relevant field (the equivalent US Grade Point Average is 3.2) or
- A lower second-class Honours degree from an approved university with excellent work experience.
- Adequate capacity in written and spoken English. Find out more about international entry requirements.
- Degrees from all disciplines are considered and a candidate's work experience can also be taken into consideration.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22140 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22140 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10620 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10620 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- £5,310 PT (UK) - part time fee
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.