The Public Administration (Finance) programme from the University of Birmingham bridges theory and practice, enabling students to acquire the skills and understanding needed for effective management and strategy in government. The programme is delivered in a highly motivated international learning environment.
The Finance pathway enables managers in the public sector and not-for-profit sector to update and improve their understanding of financial and economic management. The programme is particularly designed for those working in finance ministries, finance sections within sectoral ministries, development banks, local government, public enterprises, aid providers, non-governmental organisations, and research and training organisations who wish to participate at a strategic level in financial management decisions.
The approach taken within the programme is practical and introduces theories and conceptual models where they help understand and solve practical problems. Students analyse practical cases, using real data as far as possible to provide excellent experience and develop required skills in public economic and finance management.
The programme includes development of understanding of the role of the state in managing the economy and public finances; managing monetary, exchange rate, fiscal, trade and environmental policy; budgeting and control.
The programme considers the issues associated with working with the private sector; and, in designing, planning, financing and evaluating projects. New approaches to reform of financial management including performance budgeting and improving accountability receive string attention. There is a special focus on decentralised service delivery reflecting IDD’s long experience on working in decentralised systems.
The knowledge and skills gained in the programme will equip graduates for jobs in international, national and local government and non-governmental organisations.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Public Financial Management
- Public Economic Management
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Public Administration View 45 other Masters in Public Administration in United Kingdom
- An upper second-class Honours degree or equivalent from an approved university or an equivalent professional qualification in a relevant field (the equivalent US Grade Point Average is 3.2)
- A lower second-class Honours degree from an approved university with excellent work experience
- Adequate capacity in written and spoken English. Find out more about international entrry requirements
- Degrees from all disciplines are considered and a candidate's work experience can also be taken into consideration
International18450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: 4,625 GBP per year
- The Postgraduate Student Loan has increased its maximum loan amount to £10,609
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.