The interdisciplinary MA programme at the Institute of Visual Communication is open to students with a BA degree from an Academy of Art and Design or a university with a focus on the Humanities. It is the only Master’s programme in Design in Switzerland to award 120 ECTS, thus meeting all the requirements for enrolment in a PhD programme.
The programme degree in Visual Communication and iconic Research, offered by University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland, is founded on the conviction that, singly, neither a technical and craft-based design practice nor theory-based reflection on visual messages is a sufficient basis for working in the modern field of visual communication. Both are required, that is, analytical, process-oriented design practice combined with a sound understanding of iconic and media theory and media technology. It is the only way to approach Visual Communication as a scientific methodological tool in its own right.
- An MA degree from the Institute of Visual Communication qualifies you for a job in a transdisciplinary work environment, either at home or abroad.
- As a graduate you can either work freelance and create and design your own visual messages, or take on a job as a designer, art director or communication expert. As a curator you are involved in the conception and staging of exhibitions and presentations in the field of art and design.
- Your expertise and knowledge in media and images also open the door to the world of journalism, both in the field of analogue and digital media.
- A MA degree in Visual Communication is also the first step towards a PhD and becoming part of a research project in the field of image, design or media research, and qualifies you to teach at an Academy of Art and Design.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Specialization in Design Practice in Digital and Analogue Media
- Specialization in Iconic and Media Research
- Specialization in Image and Media Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign View 6 other Masters in Design in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Admission and Records:
- A successfully completed BA degree from:
- Visual Communication
- Graphic or Media Design
- Art History
- Media Science
- other adequate disciplines
Applicants must submit:
- A design portfolio of 40 pages (maximum)
- A text writing sample of at least 2x A4 manuscript pages (e.g. BA Thesis)
- A letter of motivation
- Two letters of recommendation
International9360 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4680 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1310 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 655 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- Semester fee: CHF 700 (CH & EU); CHF 5000 (non EU)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.