The Primary Education (SSPIP) Mathematics programme offered by the University of Birmingham lays the foundations for you becoming a future leader in mathematics. You will be prepared for employment in a generalist role at the start of your career, where you will ‘champion’ mathematics and inspire children and teachers. The course also prepares you for employment in a more specialist role, teaching mainly or solely mathematics.
The programme offers the equivalent of 120 credits and these may be used towards our MA in Teaching Studies. Additionally, the School also offers a number of specialised Professional Development programmes which will enable you to further develop your career.
We work closely with the University careers service and local councils in order to provide you with support for the job application process. Our success rate for completion of our primary courses and subsequent employment in schools remains consistently high.
Primary Mathematics Specialist students are highly employable. A majority of students gain employment in the local region, many of them choosing to remain in partnership schools. Many newly qualified mathematics specialists secure employment in a more generalist post at the start of their career, joining the mathematics leadership team and going on to lead mathematics in their schools.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Studies
- Core Mathematics
- Specialist Mathematics
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply online through the UCAS
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Teaching View 318 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- All applicants to the Postgraduate Diploma in Primary Education (SSPIP) Mathematics course must hold a degree from a UK Higher Education Institution
- Normally this should be a minimum of 2.1 or above but we also consider applicants with a 2:2 degree who have a strong overall profile
- Evidence of strong mathematics subject knowledge is required. Applicants need a grade A or B in A-level Mathematics (or equivalent)
- Experience in a primary school may be set as a condition following interview
International16995 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16995 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 9 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 9 months.
- Home/EU students will be eligible to apply for statutory support from their relevant funding agency. Trainee teachers on the Primary Mathematics Specialist programme, with a relevant degree and at least a grade B in A level Mathematics (or equivalent) will be eligible for a bursary
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.