This Earth Sciences programme at the University of Basel offers graduates sound theoretical and practical training in geosciences – the study of the earth’s systems – and earns them the degree of an “MSc in Geosciences”. Depending on the specialization module they choose, students can deepen their knowledge and broaden their skills in geography and climatology, geology and mineralogy as well as in environmental geosciences and biogeochemistry.
The course explores the interdisciplinary topics of global change, natural catastrophes, sustainability, aquatic ecology and soil ecology. The combination of a single subject area and geosciences electives ensures both a breadth of subject knowledge as well as individual specialization. There is also a strong focus on independent work in the master’s studies.
Studying geosciences opens up a wide range of career opportunities in environmental, nature, water, soil and climate protection as well as in planning or materials research.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Applied Atmospheric Sciences
- Aquatic and Isotope Biogeochemistry
- Landscape Systems
- Palaeoclimatology and Quarternary Geology
- Palaeoecology and Freshwater Ecology
- Sustainable Resource and Soil Management
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Soil Science
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent degree from a foreign university recognized by the University of Basel only allows access to the master’s degree if this allows admission to the desired master’s degree at a university in the higher education system in which it was acquired. It may be the place of study evidence required.
International1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Living costs for Basel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.