The Master's Program Critical Urbanism at the University of Basel takes place in English. It is aimed at domestic and foreign students of the humanities and social sciences and in the field of art as well as students of architecture, urban planning or environmental management. Foreign students who are not EU citizens are strongly advised to submit their application as early as possible, as the registration process for a residence permit can take up to four months and this process can only begin after the letter of admission has been issued.
Graduates of the Critical Urbanisms Masters program have relevant, practical and theoretical knowledge of the societal, economic, cultural and political processes underlying the emergence of cities and regions. Interdisciplinary skills coupled with international experience enable them to work at institutions that play a key role in shaping cities. These include national and international organizations - from research institutes to local, regional and national city planning authorities to development aid organizations and NGOs - as well as architecture and design firms, museums, city planning and policy offices, universities and consulting firms.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Legacies of empire and comparative colonial after-lives
- Spatial and architectural practices of mobility and migration
- Territorial dimensions of resource economies
- Urban cultures, creativity, and the production of imaginaries
- Urban governance, politics, and spatial violence
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The admission to the master’s degree program follows a motion presented by the examination commission of the faculty, in which it recommends to the rectorate to either allow or deny the admission.
- In the event that a bachelor’s degree only partially fulfills the requirements listed in the master’s study regulations, the admission can be issued contingent on the student taking certain classes in the bachelor degree program.
International1596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 798 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA1596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 798 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.