Students will acquire a general overview of the philosophy of social research, and understand how this informs research design, methods of data collection and analysis in the Social Research (Local Government and Public Policy) programme taught at the University of Birmingham. They will also develop an ability to use a range of research methods, to communicate research findings effectively and an understanding of the potential use of and impact of their research within and beyond academia.
Many students go on to do a PhD after completing this MA. Others have followed a career in local authorities, government departments, health authorities, management consultancy, media, the voluntary sector and so on.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Philosophy of Social Science Research
- Research Design, Practice and Ethics
- Fundamentals in Quantitative Research Methods
- Foundations in Qualitative Research
- Advanced Training Programme
- Analysing Hierarchical Panel Data
- An Approach To Research On Discourse
- Case Study Research Design
- Documentary Research In Education
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Public Policy View 379 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You can satisfy the English language requirements in two ways:
- by holding an English language qualification to the right level
- by taking and successfully completing one of our English courses for international students
International19170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19170 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- MA PT fees: UK/EU - £4,625
- PGDip FT fees: UK/EU - £6,167; Overseas - £12,780
- PGCert FT fees: UK/EU - £3,083; Overseas - £6,390
- PGDip/PGCert PT fees: UK/EU - £3,083
- The Postgraduate Student Loan has increased its maximum loan amount to £10,609
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.