The Character Education programme from University of Birmingham adopts a broad understanding of character – encompassing aspects of wellbeing, ethics, citizenship and social and emotional education.
The course is run by The Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues based at the University of Birmingham. The Centre is widely acknowledged as one of the world’s foremost research and teaching centres specialising in the examination of how character and virtues impact on individuals and society. You will be taught by some of the best known names in character education, both in Britain and internationally.
The main features of the course are:
- It is multi-disciplinary – it includes learning from the fields of education, philosophy, (positive) psychology, sociology, social sciences and theology
- It is flexible – the learning is guided but students can work through it at their own pace
- It is suitable for professionals seeking to transform their organisation or career, or individuals looking for a foundation for further postgraduate study such as a PhD
- It utilises the latest technology to ensure an engaging and participatory online learning experience
- It provides a supportive learning environment – all students have a dedicated personal tutor
- It is focused on the contexts in which students work – the assignments and dissertations can be directed towards students’ personal and professional interests in the field
- It is collaborative – students have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from fellow students from around the world
- Most importantly it is practice focused – the learning contributes to making a difference. It helps students to play their part in transforming people, organisations and places.
The MA Character Education has been developed in response to the overwhelming interest in character education (and associated concerns such as wellbeing, social mobility and ethics) around the world. Completion of the Programme will ensure that you will further your understanding of this area and will gain the knowledge and experience to implement informed change in your own organisation.
Profiles of students on the Programme vary. Current students include headteachers, deputy headteachers and assistant headteachers who want to transform their school through character education; teachers who have taken character lead positions in their schools; recent graduates looking for further studies in education; individuals looking for foundational learning for a PhD; individuals running and working for charities and not for profit businesses; and parents looking to further their theoretical and / or practical enhanced knowledge about character.
- Theories of Character, Virtue and Flourishing
- Research Methods in Character Education
- History and Politics of Character Education
- Character Education Interventions in Schools and Organisations
- Character Education Leadership in Schools and Organisations
- The Virtuous Practitioner
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Philosophy & Ethics Educational Psychology View 213 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
We are keen to encourage applicants with a wide range of qualifications and prior learning experiences. Typically, successful applicants will hold an undergraduate degree at 2.1 level or above and have some relevant and related experience in the field of education; however, account will be given to equivalent professional qualifications and experience.
International2270 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6810 GBP for the full programme during 36 months.
National1090 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3270 GBP for the full programme during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.