The Autism (Children) programme taught at the University of Birmingham is appropriate for those working in early years provision, schools, residential care, advisory, support or therapeutic services.
- On the Autism (Children) course, you will draw on your own experience as part of the content and assessment.
- You will benefit from association with leading experts in autism who are members of the Autism Centre for Education and Research (ACER).
- The Autism (Children) course has been approved by the British Psychological Society for the purpose of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The aims of the Autism (Children) programme are to give you knowledge of the autism spectrum, based on theory, research and practice. It aims to develop skills in identifying and meeting the needs of children and young people and to improve your awareness of different approaches and models of service delivery (particularly in the area of education).
Taking the perspective of the individual child or young person on the autism spectrum is paramount, and listening to parents, carers and families on what they need and value is also stressed.
There is the opportunity to work towards a further professional qualification in the field of Education both within schools and in other settings, including progression to a PhD. The excellent careers advice provided by personal tutors has encouraged many of our graduates to successfully apply for leadership roles working with children with autism. These include: specialist teachers, education advisors, special educational needs coordinators, teaching assistants and youth workers.
The British Psychology Society
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Special Educational Needs of Children with Autism
- Curriculum and Approaches for Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Special Studies in Special Education and Educational Psychology
- Practitioner Inquiry in Education (MEd only)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- AdCert - 60
- PGCert - 60
- PGDip - 120
- MEd - 180
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Special Education Educational Psychology View 198 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- MEd: a 2.1 degree and relevant experience
- PGDip/PGCert: a 2.1 degree and relevant experience
- AdCert: Usually a 3rd degree or above or relevant qualification and relevant experience
International6480 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6480 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National6480 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6480 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- £3,420 (UK)
- £9,510 AdCert (International)
- £6,480 PGCert/PGDip/MEd (International)
You may be eligible for a postgraduate loan which provides up to £11,222.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.