The Applied Linguistics with TESOL programme from University of Birmingham aim to equip students with the linguistic and pedagogic knowledge, the research and analytic skills, and the confidence necessary to develop their careers in English language teaching, and/or to move into areas such as teacher-training or ELT management.
Why study this course?
- Tailored to your level of experience – this programme is specifically designed for more experienced language teachers, so it offers an advanced level of study that will allow you to build on your existing skills and experience..
- Access to fantastic resources – as an English Language and Linguistics student at Birmingham, you will have free access to the hardware, software and data resources held at the Centre for Corpus Research. You will also have access to the resources such as the Academic Writing Advisory Service and the Bank of Assessed Work to help with transitioning to postgraduate studies or if you are returning to the world of academia.
- Excellent reputation – the Department of English Language and Linguistics is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in the country. You will be taught by experts in the field, with a range of interests and specialisms. The University has also been ranked as one of the world's top 50 institutions to study English Language and Literature in the 2021 QS World University Rankings.
- Ongoing support – you will have your own personal tutor to guide you throughout the programme.
- A vibrant and active postgraduate community – join a range of exciting conferences, seminars and social events. There is always something happening in the Department.
- Describing Language
- Syllabus and Materials
- Planning and evaluating a language lesson;
- Presenting and practising vocabulary and grammatical structures;
- Using educational technology and other teaching equipment;
- Asking questions, eliciting responses, and correcting errors;
- Teaching through task based learning;
- Teaching reading and writing;
- Teaching listening and speaking (including pronunciation);
- Managing classroom interaction and dealing with problem behaviour
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 396 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
- We usually require an upper second-class Honours degree, or equivalent, in Applied Linguistics, Linguistics, English Language or another relevant subject (e.g. Translation Studies, TEFL/TESL/TESOL, English Literature, Communication Studies). Appropriate work experience will also be taken into consideration.
- Applicants for this programme must also have at least one year’s language teaching experience. Less experienced language teachers will benefit from our MA TESOL programme.
International21240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21240 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.