The M.A.T. with a concentration in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) program is designed for individuals who have earned a bachelor's degree in a liberal arts discipline closely associated with a teaching area (e.g., biology, history, mathematics, psychology, chemistry, English, etc. but not business administration, nursing, engineering, etc.) and want to complete teacher licensure.
The James Madison University's M.A.T program in Education - TESOL draws on theories of linguistics, research on social and cultural variables that influence second language acquisition, and the knowledge required to facilitate language learning.
Completion of this M.A.T. program leads to eligibility for a Virginia teaching license for PK-12 English as a Second Language.
The TESOL program prepares future educators to understand and implement more equitable and effective ways of working with English Language Learners in a variety of contexts, including inclusion in content/general education classes, sheltered-ESL classes and pullout classes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Behavior Management in the Classroom
- Educational Technology
- TESOL Courses
- Cross Cultural Education
- Integrated Language and Content Instruction
- Concepts of First and Second Language Acquisition
- Assessment and Curriculum Development in English as a Second Language
- Literacy Development and Instruction for English Language Learners
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Linguistics View 704 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Two-three page essay: describe relevant work, life experiences, and professional goals related to TESOL and assisting English language learners
- Video upload answering the following: 1) Briefly describe why you are interested in the JMU Master of Arts in Teaching with a concentration in the TESOL program, 2) What are your career aspirations upon completing your master's degree?, 3) What strengths will you bring to our program?
- Two professional references
- Professional Resume
- Informal interview (in person, Skype, OR phone)
- Applicants should have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
International23088 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National23088 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State8814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 452 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.