About this Degree
As members of the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program at James Madison University, we have formed our own special community of faculty, staff and students. We vary in abilities, age, class, gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation and place of birth, but we share a common vision of achieving a vitally important mission and transforming students into successful community counselors. Our alumni are dedicated to providing competent, caring and ethical services to diverse clients in public agencies, community programs and private practices.
Putting our principles into practice, we strive to create a caring community in which we can thrive personally and grow professionally. While many of our graduates work in rural communities in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley or among the mountains of West Virginia, many more have moved on to serve in other communities throughout the mid-Atlantic region and across the nation.
The Master of Arts degree is awarded only after completion of all educational specialist degree requirements. This program provides the academic and applied training necessary for individuals seeking employment as counselors in clinical mental health agencies, psychiatric facilities or private practice. The program requires the completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours.
- Measurement and Statistics
- Assessment Procedures in Counseling
- Advanced Developmental Psychology
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Counseling Theories
- Counseling Techniques
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Counseling Process
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling View 1221 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Personal statement - at least 1,000 words describing yourself
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE General Test
- Personal Interview - We participate in an interview with selected applicants, usually during the end of January or beginning of February. Students who are selected for an interview will be notified as early in advance as possible. Students who are admitted into the program must have a completed background check on file prior to enrolling in classes. Information regarding how to complete this requirement is provided directly to students after admissions processes are completed. Please note that some internships sites may require a more rigorous background check as part of their placement process.
International35520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National35520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State13980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.