The Teaching for Social Justice program of Marlboro College produces teachers and leaders in education who engage to restructure contemporary systems. Participants in the program include educators, activists, paraprofessionals, and more; in common they all share a love of working with children and a commitment to creating a better world. It provides experiential and theoretical preparation for transformative work in all aspects of education. Graduates go on to positions in education throughout the world equipped for the challenges of teaching and for their role as leaders and innovators.
The MAT-SJ program provides an intensive one-year, field-based program leading to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree and a recommendation for teacher licensure. Students can earn endorsements in elementary education, and math, english, science, and social studies for middle and secondary schools. Students have the option of only earning a Master’s degree and opting out of teacher licensure. Licensed teachers are welcome to apply.
As an MAT-SJ student, you will spend a full year interning in a classroom, working side-by-side with a skilled mentor teacher, learning to integrate social justice and equity content into the mainstream curriculum. On Fridays and Saturdays you will attend seminars with a diverse cohort of fellow graduate students led by faculty members who join content area expertise with a critical analysis of the systems we work within.
Program features include:
- Faculty, mentor teachers, and classmates provide three circles of critical feedback and support.
- In one year, students earn both a master’s degree and K-12 licensure.
- Current best pedagogical practices.
- Beyond pedagogy, students examine education policy, literacy development, and strategies for all learners.
- Access to a lifelong alumni community made up of fellow activists and practitioners.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Education: Legacies, Culture and Teaching
- Theories of Human Development & Exceptionality
- Pedagogy of Social Justice Seminar
- Curriculum & Assessment in Equity Education Seminar
- Technology for Educators
- Teaching Practices in the Content Area Seminar
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1291 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The application
- Fill out this endorsement form
- Submit an essay of approximately three typewritten, double-spaced pages to graduate admissions
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Demonstration of English Language Proficiency
International794 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 794 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National794 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 794 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.