About this Degree
The Art Studio program offered by James Madison University of study is 60 hours of graduate credit, including 39 credit hours of studio art, 12-18 of which must be in the concentration and 12 in graduate studio; 12 credit hours in art history, with a minimum of three in modern art since 1945 and three credits of non-Western recommended; and three credit hours in contemporary art theory.
In the final year of study, the M.F.A. candidate will complete two semesters of thesis, culminating in a thesis exhibition, a thesis monograph, a gallery talk and an oral comprehensive examination.
- Topics in African Art
- Renaissance Art and the East
- Topics in Nineteenth Century Art
- Commemoration and Controversy: A History of Public Art in America
- Modern Art Since 1945
- Topics in Modern Art
- Art of the Americas
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 793 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- An artist statement of 300-500 words explaining your principle ideas and motivation engaged in the artwork submitted
- Statement of Intent of 300-500 words explaining why you wish to study studio art at the graduate level
- Three letters of recommendation
- 15-20 examples of current artwork with descriptions
- In addition to the general admission requirements, the prospective graduate student in the Master of Fine Arts program must have an undergraduate degree with a minimum of 33 credit hours in studio art and 9 credit hours in art history. The art history hours must include 6 hours surveying the history of art and 3 hours in upper-level art history, or equivalent.
International35520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National35520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State13980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.