Students who complete this program, Education, Adult Education/Human Resource Development: Individualized Concentration, M.S.Ed., learn to identify workplace performance gaps and develop learning solutions using industry best practices so that employees can succeed and grow. Our students develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to be leaders and contribute to high-quality, sustainable organizations. Our core program curriculum is aligned with industry standards, while also allowing students to focus their studies on topics most relevant to their career goals and interests.
Our curriculum provides a strong foundation in theory with the applied skills to take the concepts and practical experience into a range of career fields, such as instructional design, human capital consulting, and corporate training. Plus, the program includes a blend of online and face-to-face instruction, making it accessible for full-time students in the local area and working professionals. Our graduates serve in dynamic roles across multiple sectors including higher education, business, government, and non-profit organizations.
The mission of the Adult Education - Human Resource Development master’s program at James Madison University is to prepare professionals to lead, design, implement and evaluate learning programs within education, business, industry, government, military, health care, and other public and private sector organizations. In addition to delivering effective instruction, AHRD professionals design ways to improve human performance, facilitate change and enhance creativity.
By completing our program, graduates will be able to:
- Understand and apply systems theory, analytic systems, principles of adult development, learning theory and leadership theory.
- Understand business, industry, educational and other organizational settings.
- Identify, understand and build effective organizational relationships that support teaching, learning and continuous human performance improvement appropriate to the context.
- Organize, manage and evaluate teaching, learning and continuous human performance improvement efforts.
- Analyze, design, develop, implement and evaluate targeted curriculum in appropriate modes (including distance, action, self-directed, transformative, informal learning, etc.) for individual, team and organizational applications with a focus on continuous human performance improvement.
- Foundations of Adult Education/Human Resource Development
- Learning Theories and Instructional Models
- Leadership and Facilitation
- Learning in Adulthood
- Performance Analysis and Needs Assessment in Adult Education/ Human Development
- Research Methods and Inquiry in Adult Education/ Human Resource
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- The application deadline is rolling, however, early application by April 1 is recommended to have full consideration for graduate assistantships.
DisciplinesHuman Resource Management Adult Education View 119 other Masters in Adult Education in United States
- An online application submitted at: http://www.jmu.edu/grad/prospective.
- Official transcripts reflecting all post-secondary education, with a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher. Applicants can have electronic copies of transcripts sent via eSCRIP-SAFE.
- An official record of scores on the general test of the Graduate Record Examination (scores must be less than five years old) or approved GRE waiver application.
- Two letters of recommendation from employers or educators who can attest to the applicant's potential for graduate-level course work.
- A copy of the applicant's current resume.
International21312 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National21312 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State8388 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.