The Special Education program of Southwest Minnesota State University requires a minimum of 34 graduate credits. Up to 9 graduate transfer credits are allowed. Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) requirements must be met if seeking licensure.
The mission of teacher education program at SMSU is to create communities of practice where each learner is an active participant in the investigation of learning, teaching and leadership processes. Teachers and learners will engage in educational theory, research, inquiry, critical reflection, and application.
Track 1: Licensed Special Education Teacher (Other than ABS) who are seeking additional special education licensures outside of the Master’s program can choose from the three areas; ASD, EBD, or LD. Upon completion of the courses and meeting PELSB requirements, candidates can apply for a license with the State of Minnesota.
Track 2: Licensed ABS Teacher seeking an Anchor licensure program can choose from the four areas: ASD, DD, EBD, or LD. Upon completion of the courses and meeting PELSB requirements, candidates can apply for a license with the State of Minnesota.
Track 3: Licensed Teacher other than Special Education. If you are a licensed teacher other than Special Education, you will be required to complete the Special Education Core and the requirements in at least one area: ASD, EBD, or LD. You will also meet with an advisor to complete a transcript review to ensure fulfillment of the State of Minnesota teaching requirements.
Track 4: Career Change. If you are not a currently licensed teacher but seek a special education teaching degree or Master’s degree in Special Education, you will be assigned an advisor to review your transcript and get you started on your path to becoming a special education teacher.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- ASD: Issues and Needs (Not required for ABS' Licensed Teachers)
- ASD: Assessments & Programming
- Access and Support for Individuals with Moderate to Severe Developmental Disabilities
- Characteristics of Students with Learning & Behavioral Disorders: Mild to Moderate K-12
- Characteristics of Student with Moderate to Severe EBD
- Teaching and Achievement Strategies for Learning Disabilities
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 717 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Students may transfer a maximum of nine (9) semester credits of previous graduate work, including up to four (4) in specialty areas, from other accredited universities into the SMSU Education Department Master of Science: Education Program
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 will be maintained throughout the graduate program
- Students have seven (7) years from the date of their first course registration to complete all requirements for the Master’s Degree
- Students must have earned a bachelor’s degree and hold a valid teacher’s license prior to admission
International4974 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2487 USD per semester during 24 months.
National4974 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2487 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Marshall
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.