Whether you’re a writer, screenwriter, or playwright, you will discover how to use the fundamental elements of narrative to craft stories. Earn more than just a degree by balancing intensive study with tangible professional assistance on how to improve, market and present your work for post-graduation success.
Antioch University's Writing and Contemporary Media students can work in TV/screenwriting, playwriting, or emerging and new media. If a student wishes to pursue a Dual Concentration (3 semesters studying a primary genre, 2 semesters studying a secondary genre) they may do so.
The program’s coursework expands your understanding of yourself, your community, and our society to give you a more comprehensive outlook on your work and your professional goals. The MFA graduate:
- Understands his/her own creative process and cognitive strengths, and possesses strategies for applying that knowledge towards successful writing goals.
- Is adept at analyzing his/her own writing and its effect on targeted audiences.
- Understands the unique distinctions that exist between different media platforms: television, film, stage, and emerging media.
- Possesses full understanding of how to transform actual or fictional experience into narrative through competent and imaginative writing.
- Emerges from the program with a full-length, publication or production-ready work, as well as strategy for the final product’s marketing and presentation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students will have ten reading assignments (books, plays, screenplays) per project period and will maintain an annotated bibliography of their reading throughout the program.
- During Semester 1, students are required to write a short critical paper (approximately 5 pages) followed by a longer paper (12-15 pages) during the second term. This paper is based on library or online research or is an in-depth critical reaction to a topic agreed upon by the student and the mentor.
- The paper typically examines a topic of literary or cultural theory, or a craft issue in a genre. It may also be a literary or historical study or a biographical study.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesCreative Writing Media Studies & Mass Media View 222 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete the online admissions application.
- Complete and submit the Admission Essay.
- Send in all official transcripts indicating bachelor’s degree conferral from a regionally accredited institution.
- Submit a sample of writing, media, or production work.
International840 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 840 USD per credit during 12 months.
National840 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 840 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.