The Theater - Contemporary Performance program at Naropa University provided tools for the self-generative artist to both create and disseminate about performative work as active social and cultural entrepreneurs.
This 48-credit, two-year program was the first graduate program of its type combining performance-making with contemplative practices to encourage and explore authenticity in the arts. Students were plugged into an immersive studio environment, engaging the body, mind and voice in performance-making.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Contemplative Training:
Students relate and appraise their commitment to contemplative principles as performers in contemplative arts meditation and training.
Students experiment and demonstrate use of diverse performance-making techniques and approaches to creative arts enquiry.
- Originate Texts for Performance and Scholarship:
Students compose and produce written works for performance and scholarship that reflect awareness of alternative modes of generating text.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Meditation Practice and View
- Contemplative Dance Practice and Pedagogy
- Somatic Foundations and Experiential Anatomy Lab
- Developmental Technique
- Introduction to Extended Voice in the tradition of Roy Hart Theatre
- Vocal Intensive: Application to classical texts and musical forms
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 281 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- Apply online and pay the $60 nonrefundable application fee. This is the preferred method for applying.
- An official transcript of a conferred bachelor's degree must be received by the Office of Admissions prior to beginning graduate coursework.
- Respond to the following questions in a 750 to 1,250 word essay: How does your personal and/or professional experience relate to the MFA Theater: Contemporary Performance program? How will this program prepare you to accomplish your professional and academic goals?
- Your resume/CV should detail all pertinent academic, employment, and volunteer history with exact dates of participation.
- Two letters of recommendation are required.
International995 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 995 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National995 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 995 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.