This MA course in Intercultural Management is an English-language course for internationally mobile and open-minded students from around the world, who are interested in diversity and intercultural communication. The two-year course, run by the Languages and Communication Faculty of the University of Burgundy, is designed to help students develop skills and knowledge related to business, management, and a deep, critical understanding of the cultural dimension of interpersonal communication. It is aimed at students who have not previously studied business or management in an academic setting, and who are interested in learning more about the way we communicate in a globalised world.
Unlike some courses which focus mainly on national-level cultural differences, the ICM course adopts a critical stance to intercultural communication, seeking to apply to the professional context the latest advances in intercultural communication research. It equips future graduates with all of the knowledge and skills necessary to approach the complexity of communication in various social contexts, often marked by identity and power issues, and to develop innovative solutions in a variety of professional roles.
The course will help students develop the following skills and knowledge:
- cultural awareness and sensitivity to others and to questions of diversity in the workplace,
- skills and knowledge of and in various languages and cultures, including French, up to professional level,
- a complex understanding of and a critical approach to interculturality, cultures and identities, and their role in various interpersonal encounters, beyond simplistic approaches based on national differences.
- various management / international management skills and an understanding of how organisations function professionally within a wider economic, social and legal environment (human resources, international marketing, geopolitics, strategic intelligence…).
- knowledge of project management methods and tools and experience planning and executing projects as a team member and / or in a leadership role.
- skills as a trainer planning courses, designing learning materials, setting up events.
- research methodology, analytical tools and methods for conducting intercultural audits / consultancy.
What makes ICM unique: [this can be laid out differently, i.e. not in list form, as you want]
· the 2-year MA thesis: students prepare a full research document of around 70 pages, presented at the end of the second year.
· projects carried out in relation with interculturalists and other professionals, to gain experience, make contacts and put skills and knowledge into practical use.
· a student-run association organising trips and events and carrying out actions to promote cultural awareness in France.
· an exchange semester in a partner university, currently including the University of Helsinki (Finland), Josai International University (Japan) and National Taichung University of Teaching (Taiwan). On exchange, students study topics related to the ICM course, as well as languages, and benefit from immersion in a foreign cultural environment.
· a 4 to 6-month internship in the field, to gain valuable professional experience at the end of the course.
· a partnership with SIETAR Switzerland, putting students into contact with intercultural professionals.
This programme is an accredited French national Masters Degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Semester 1 and 2 in Dijon: Languages and cultures, Business skills, Intercultural Communication, International Management, Research MethodsSemester 3 in a foreign partner university (Finland, Japan, Taiwan, Poland...)Semester 4 in Dijon followed by a 4-6 month international internship
- Professional English
- Language of exchange destination (Finnish or Japanese)
- French language and culture (Professional German, Italian, Russian or Spanish for French speakers)
- Introduction to Intercultural Communication
- Negotiation Techniques
- Culture and Area Studies (Africa, Latin America, Middle East)
- Immigration and Integration from a French perspective
- Culture Shock and Mobility
- Setting up a Business
- Introduction to Economics
- Intro to Marketing (option)
- Decision-Making (Business Game)
- Project work
- Geopolitics & Strategic Intelligence
- International Marketing
- Human Resources Management (and Business Ethics)
- Managing Diversity
- Research Methods
Possible career paths: Management consultant, trainer, coach, lobbyist, human resources, diversity and inclusion, international project management, communications, international marketing / sales / negotiation, work in an (inter)national NGO, in government overseas agencies / international public bodies (UN, UNESCO…), diplomatic service, social worker, educator / mediator, research (PhD)…
The teaching staff is made up of university professors, lecturers, and professionals in various areas of specialisation linked to the course. Please consult the website and course syllabi for further details.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Application deadlines vary on country of application. Please see our website: http://blog.u-bourgogne.fr/mastericm/application-deadlines-2017/
30 ECTS credits per semester. One semester completed at a foreign partner university.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Communication Sciences Management, Organisation & Leadership View 12 other Masters in Communication Sciences in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
The fees are approximately 4500€ annually, composed of a 4000€ annual course fee plus just under 500€ of administrative fees, insurance, social security, etc.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.