What does Advanced Matter and Energy Physics at the UvA have to offer me?
Experimental physics in Amsterdam is among the best in the world. The Physics and Astronomy - Advanced Matter and Energy Physics programme of the University of Amsterdam offers challenging courses and research opportunities focused on current trends in the field. For example, you can participate in research projects on:
- Next generation energy materials and processes (such as nanocrystals, nanowires and nanophotonic systems for tomorrow's solar energy conversion)
- Complex condensed matter systems (with properties like unconventional superconductivity)
- Complex liquids, granular, soft and biomatter (with properties like jamming and self-organisation)
- New forms of ultracold atomic quantum matter (with properties like strong correlations and entanglement)
- Precision measurements on (cold) atoms and molecules, to test fundamental physics theories
- 2D metallic states at the surface of 3D topological insulators, and the phenomena these states can be used to explore (such as Majorana fermions and magnetic monopoles)
- State-of-the-art lasers
- Emergent Energy Materials
- Quantum Optics
- Bose Einstein Condensates
- Fermi Quantum Gasses
- Mathematica for physicists
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPhysics Mathematics Energy & Power Engineering View 55 other Masters in Physics in Netherlands
- 3.0 (American system)
- 2.1 (a second class upper/division one degree in the British system)
- C (ECTS-system)
- The Master's programme Physics and Astronomy is open to: applicants with an academic Bachelor's degree in (Applied) Physics, Astronomy, or a comparable discipline and applicants with a UvA Bachelor's degree in Beta-gamma with a Physics major
- You have an overall grade point average (GPA) equivalent to at least: 3.0 (American system), 2.1 (a second class upper/division one degree in the British system), C (ECTS-system)
- English language proficiency
International15110 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15110 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.