Social Work from Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO) is designed to provide opportunities for professional social work practitioners to acquire special knowledge and skills appropriate to specific roles and fields of practice.
Our program's objective is to prepare students for competent practice with diverse populations by ensuring that all areas of the curriculum, including field experience include content relative to understanding and acting upon:
- women’s issues,
- people of color–with particular focus on, but not limited to, African Americans,
- acceptance of diverse life styles and sexual orientation as among gay and lesbian persons, populations at risk (i.e., children, seniors, the poor, the physical or mentally challenged, persons with HIV or AIDS),
- institutional racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, ageism, and (e) social and economic justice issues.
Graduates with Social Work from Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO) will:
- gain knowledge and understanding of general systems theory and an ecological theoretical perspective as an integrating framework, and its application, with emphasis on strengths and ecological social work practice at both micro, mezzo, and macro levels.
- be able to apply research knowledge and skills which reflect social work values and ethics in evaluating their own practice and in generating knowledge for practice.
- integrate cognitive and affective experiences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Social Welfare Policy And Services (Swps) I: Social Services Policy
- Social Work In Legal Settings
- Motivational Interviewing
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Military And Veteran’s Administration Social Work
- Human Behavior And The Social Environment
- Social Work Practice With Communities
- Direct Service I: Social Work Intervention With Individuals
- Social Work
- Diversity And Empowerment
- Direct Service Ii:Social Work Intervention With Families
- Social Work Practice With Organizations
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 428 other Masters in Social Work in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- An earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of a course with a minimum grade of “C” in Sociology, Psychology and Biology.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate Grade Point Average of 2.5 (probationary entry consideration) or greater on a 4.0 scale.
- Evidence of professional writing skills at the level of a graduate student, and a commitment to social justice documented in the applicant’s personal interest statement and demonstrated by an on campus written exercise.
- Evidence of values, ethics, and commitment congruent with those of the social work profession.
- Evidence of ability to successfully matriculate in graduate education evaluated through undergraduate transcripts and from personal reference letters.
International4616 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2308 USD per semester during 24 months.
National4616 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2308 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State5340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2670 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New Orleans
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.