Graduate students in this Animal Science program at Pennsylvania State University may specialize in animal management, breeding, genetics and genomics, growth and developmental biology, meat science, nutrition, reproductive biology, and animal health.
The department maintains numerous facilities for research involving both small and large animals. Laboratories are equipped with the latest instrumentation. Herds of dairy and beef cattle, sheep, swine, white tail deer, horses, as well as flocks of poultry, including chickens, turkeys, and quail, are maintained for instruction and research.
- Students will demonstrate appropriate breadth and depth of disciplinary knowledge (e.g., nutrition, physiology, statistics, etc.), a command of the current literature relating to their thesis project, and a thorough understanding of the problems that their research addresses.
- Students will apply current knowledge in their field to design animal studies and/or perform laboratory methods or other techniques to address their research problems, while generating and testing new ideas or hypotheses that provide solutions to those problems.
- Students will effectively communicate their research findings, both in writing, via abstracts and manuscripts, and orally, via seminars and oral or poster presentations, to peers, advisors/mentors, and other scholars and/or stakeholders in their specialty field or beyond their discipline.
- Students will be able to conceptualize and critically evaluate the work of others in their field.
- Students will be able to identify ethical issues in research, will become familiar with University policies involving the use of animals and human subjects in research, will act ethically and exhibit collegiality with other professionals within or outside of their field, and will engage in service to the profession and to society.
- Advanced Canine Nutrition and Management
- Advanced Horse Management
- Transgenic Biology
- Foundation Readings in Animal Science
- Scientific Scholarship
- Advanced Physiology of Reproduction in Farm Animals
- Animal Genomics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Deadline: anytime; however, for full consideration of fellowships and assistantships, completing your application by December 15 is highly recommended
DisciplinesBiology Animal Sciences Genetics View 168 other Masters in Animal Sciences in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Pennsylvania State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Prerequisite to graduate work is the completion of an undergraduate major in animal science, dairy science, poultry science, or a related biological science.
- Although not required, applicants are strongly encouraged to take the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE).
- Students with a 3.00 junior/senior grade-point average (on a 4.00 scale) and with appropriate course backgrounds will be considered for admission on a competitive basis.
International43260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43260 USD per year during 12 months.
National43260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43260 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State26062 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26062 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for University Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.