The Master of Science in Teaching Students with Disabilities in Early Childhood and Childhood at Mercy College New York leads either to initial or professional certification in two areas in special education: birth through grade two and grades one through six. Professional certification requires an initial certificate and three years of classroom teaching experience. Courses focus intensely on the needs of the student with special needs.
Teaching students with disabilities can be one of the most rewarding fields in education and there is no better place to begin your journey than Mercy College.
What other requirements are there for certification, besides the coursework and the certification tests?
You must be:
- take three workshops (DASA, Child Abuse and Violence Prevention)
- apply to the state for certification.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Edu Fnd Diverse Perspectives
- Fndtns Educ Sdnts w/Dsblts
- Lang Develop & Lit Acquisition
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Tchng Stdnts with Dsblts B-6
- Differentiated Instructional Methods and Materials
- Educ Assesmnt SWD
- Prin/Strat Clsrm Mgt for SWD
- Literacy Instruct Brth-Grade 6
- Collaboration and Consultation for Students with Special Needs
- Assitv/Lrn Tech Std Dis/Sp Nds
- Student Teaching Experience* or 713 Seminar in Teaching
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 1735 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Test scores
- Additional transcripts from other colleges or universities
International19467 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 927 USD per credit during 24 months.
National19467 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 927 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.