What you will learn
The Community Music program at the University of Southern California will build upon music preparation from the undergraduate level with course work designed to nurture skills in community music teaching, program development, professional practice, scholarship and research. With the wide range of courses available, the program can be tailored for a variety of student goals.
This degree provides an academic link to the rich music learning opportunities available through community programs in urban Los Angeles and, in particular, to the Thornton Community Engagement Programs.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Research Foundations in Music Teaching and Learning
- Community Engagement Through Music
- Community Engagement Models and Frameworks in Music
- Music in the Community, Program Development and Evaluation
- Alternative Models in Music Teaching and Learning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Community Development View 584 other Masters in Musicology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Southern California and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Statement of objectives addressing why the candidate is interested in this degree and why Thornton might be a good fit
- Scholarly Writing Sample
- Teaching video – a video recording of the applicant teaching in a community music setting, for the purpose of evaluating teaching skills and level of experience. The video recording should be approximately 15 minutes in length.
- Copies of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended must be uploaded into SlideRoom.
- Letters of recommendation
- GRE Scores.
International63468 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 63468 USD per year during 24 months.
National63468 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 63468 USD per year during 24 months.
- Taking 8 to 14 units* per semester
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.