Completion of the Adolescent Special Education program of SUNY Empire State College and passing scores on the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations lead to NYS Students with Disabilities 7-12 Generalist Initial and Professional Certification.
The M.A.T. in Special Education program’s goal is twofold:
- to produce caring and highly specialized teachers who have the ability to meet the challenges in today’s inclusion classrooms; and
- to produce teacher candidates who facilitate the growth of their students by empowering students to actively participate in their learning and reach their highest potential.
Particular attention will be given to instructional design for the inclusive and co-teaching classrooms; special education identification and assessment practices; classroom management and behavioral interventions; foundations of research with an emphasis on research methods, statistical analysis and interpretation; and applied behavioral analysis for severe stereotypic behavior.
Teacher candidates will complete 100 hours of pre-residency classroom field observations, two residency terms under the supervision of a critic teacher, 45 credit hours of coursework, and a capstone action research project to meet program requirements leading to initial certification.
- Special Education Law
- Middle Childhood & Adolescent Development
- Exceptionalities: Individualizing Learning
- Teaching & Learning Across the Contents
- Children With Disabilities: Severe & Profound
- Behavior Management & Intervention
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 1805 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application.
- Official transcripts.
- Resume/CV: A resume/CV including previous experience, education and other achievements.
- Recommendations: We require two (2) recommendations from appropriately qualified persons.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies (MAT) scores.
- Applicants for whom English is not the first language must submit proof of proficiency.
- Orientation Fee of $50 (non-refundable) paid at the time of online application submission.
International8475 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 565 USD per credit during 36 months.
National8475 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 565 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State7065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 471 USD per credit during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.