What you will study
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (World Masters in Language Teaching) MAT program offered at University of Southern California is a dynamic dual degree program that will prepare you to teach English and another language to a variety of learners in multilingual and multicultural settings in the U.S. and around the world. During the program, you will spend part of your time at University of Southern California in Los Angeles and part of your time at a premier partner university in Hong Kong or South Korea. As a result, you will earn two master’s degrees: a Master of Arts in Teaching—Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MAT—TESOL) from the USC Rossier School of Education and one of the following:
- Chinese and English dual degree pathway: Master of Arts in International Language Education (MAILE) degree with a concentration in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (TCSL) or Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).
- Korean and English dual degree pathway: Master of Arts in Korean Language and Literature degree with the option to pursue a Korean language teaching certification from Yonsei University.
- Theories of Language Learning and Teaching
- Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Language Learners
- English Language Learning Design, Teaching and Technology
- Approaches and Strategies for Language Teaching
- Teaching Practice to Support Language Learners
- Social Foundations of Language Education
- Applied Linguistics for English Language Educators
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Languages Teaching View 1800 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students wishing to pursue this dual master’s program must satisfy all application requirements for both the USC Rossier School of Education and the selected partner university.
- You must hold a degree considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree, as evaluated by the USC Office of Graduate & International Admission.
- Your college or university must be recognized by the appropriate governmental ministry as a degree-granting institution.
- All transcripts and degree certificates/diplomas must be written in the original language of instruction.
- Official transcripts must show all courses and subjects taken and all grades (marks) received.
- Official transcripts must be sent directly to USC by the college or university.
International60446 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30223 USD per semester during 24 months.
National60446 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30223 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.