The MRes Programme in Art and Design at The University of Wales Trinity Saint David will be delivered through a combination of lectures and specialist supervision. Students will conduct a significant body of independent research, which facilitates creative thinking and development in a sustained way, leading to the production of an innovative body of research. The MRes is aimed at any student wishing to engage in creative research, as well as an element of creative practice, and offers an alternative to MA or MPhil study.
The programme will enhance students' ability to manage complex research projects through an in-depth investigation into an Art and Design-related area identified by the student. The MRes will also offer an invaluable springboard to study for a doctoral degree.
The MRes draws on specialisms and expertise already present within the Faculty of Art and Design, enabling students to engage with staff whose reputation in both research and practice is of international standing. The programme is further supported through visiting lecturers and cultural industry professionals.
Reasons to study this course
- Swansea College of Art is a centre of excellence for art and design-based learning and research. The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) categorised 95.8% of our research as being of world renown or recognised as internationally excellent. This research culture feeds into our postgraduate teaching and student culture; it creates a vibrant and current context for postgraduate learning.
- The MRes is aimed at any student wishing to engage in a period of philosophical inquiry, with the opportunity to include an element of creative practice, and offers a dynamic alternative to MA or MPhil study. The Master by Research programme is delivered through a combination of structured learning, comprising lectures and seminars that facilitate critical thinking, and a period of independent research.
- Master by Research students are supported by a highly committed and professional team of lecturers and technical demonstrators, who together, create a diverse, supportive learning environment. Our broad range of practical workshop facilities include glass, metal, wood, ceramics and digital printing, laser and water-jet cutting.
- We offer full and part-time modes of study with the taught aspects of the programme delivered primarily on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Swansea College of Art has many industry links with organisations such as the Glynn Vivian and Mission Galleries, Elysium and G39.
- The Thought Experiment
- Coexistent Perspectives
- Research Methods and Communication
- Research Through Practice
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts View 589 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- We normally require an undergraduate 2.1. However, we also consider candidates with relevant experience and aim to interview all applicants.
International15000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lampeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.