The Liberal Arts program at the Houston Baptist University is dedicated to training students in the classical model of education, preparing them to serve in a variety of professions and vocations. The degree is designed for students desiring a broad and deep course of study in the liberal arts with an emphasis on the Great Books of the Western Tradition.
While the MLA at HBU is flexible enough to satisfy the particular interests of each student, we do not subscribe to the common “grab bag” approach to liberal arts. Instead, we provide a core of six courses in the Western Tradition that is both chronologically progressive and cohesive to enable students to grasp the flow and development of ideas that have shaped the modern world.
Other elective courses are focused on essential figures (i.e. St. Augustine), periods (i.e. Tudor England), and topics (i.e. democracy, logic, church/state relations). Also, the MLA encourages students to craft their degree around one of three optional areas of emphasis (Classical Learning, Research and General Liberal Arts).
- Courses combine Classical Liberal Arts and the Christian worldview
- Small classes that are seminar-based, rooted in the Great Books and Socratic dialogue
- Faculty are distinguished Christian scholars from a variety of disciplines
- Part-time or Full-time enrollment (rolling admissions)
- 6-hour thesis option available
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Liberal Arts (MLA) offers students an interdisciplinary panorama of knowledge in art, literature, history, culture and science. The MLA is designed for those who have completed their undergraduate education but who wish to continue intellectual enrichment in a formal academic environment.
- A thesis option is available. Students in the MLA program represent a variety of educational backgrounds and ages. The degree is of particular interest to those in areas such as education, business, law, medicine and engineering who desire a high-level inquiry into the liberal arts. Classes meet once each week in the evening. A selection of courses from the various liberal arts is offered each semester.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
International students deadline for spring semester - October 1st.
DisciplinesHistory Liberal Arts View 656 other Masters in History in United States
- Show proof of sufficient English skills
- TOEFL, IELTS, SAT and/or ACT scores, OR
- Completion of two (2) classes of collegiate English taken in the United States
- Certificate of completion from Language Consultants International (ESL program)
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent at an accredited institution of higher education whose instruction is conducted in English.
International56700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1575 USD per credit during 12 months.
National56700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1575 USD per credit during 12 months.
Tuition is $1575 per three-unit course
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.